Blog Archive

08 September 2010

The Missing Pieces

The missing pieces, in no particular order...I just managed to pull them from the Eastern Echo's digital archives:  To see them more clearly, click on them.
This was one of the first for the Fall 2008 semester.

Probably one of the better ones I've ever made.  Lots of sentiment with a healthy helping of sarcasm mixed into it.

A nice reversal.  Underdogs of the world, unite!

This one was the beginning of a weird backstory exposition regarding the reason that Jonathan can understand the speech of all canines.  Maybe I'll publish that here, but later.

There were two versions I made of this one, and I found this one to be funnier.  My editor actually liked the other one, but this was the one I chose to publish.

Brief backstory concerning Eisnar the lolcat's connection to Doctor Spot.  Eisnar is a lot like me in this respect.  Can't talk to save his life, but a great writer.

As a trifling yet adamant fan of manga, I looked in the mirror one day and noticed some slight resemblance I held to the main character of Deathnote, which is a supernatural mystery manga.  It struck me as funny in such a way that I was inspired to make a comic about it, but having Jonathan's reflection talk back to him.

Comics Appreciation Day...it doesn't exist.  I made it up.  I probably should have given the titles of the books in question, namely:
Will Eisner's (yes, in the comic I misspelled "Eisner") Sequential Art.
Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics, and finally, Making Comics.

Can't remember if I ever published this one.  I know I'm still missing part I of it.

This was supposed to be the introduction of Eisnar the Lolcat.  Unfortunately, it got lost in the shuffle, and was published long after Eisnar had already been in the paper several times...

...so long, in fact, that this one, the return of Eisnar the lolcat, was published almost a whole semester prior to the one which was intended to precede it.

Eisnar was actually going to be in this one, but I found him to be distracting, so I Photoshopped him out of it.

First is as published.  Second is retro-fitted with computer font.

Same thing.

A shot at grim humor, met with my editor's hearty approval...then overturned the next issue.

I need to recover some of the other ones from this section.

Little Johnny tries to prevail upon Jonathan for an inheritance.  Little does he know he's an asset, rather than an heir.

No comments:

Followers: